Музеи мира - World museums
The links between the Hunt collection and other museums can be illustrated by the fact that one fragment of the Beaufort, late 14th century armorial tapestry, is on display in the Hunt Museum in Limerick, while other fragments of the same tapestry are in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam; the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and the Burrell Collection, Glasgow.
Besides the medieval, there is a wealth of other material ranging from Egyptian, Greek and Roman items through to the 19th century metalwork and ceramics. There is also an important collection of Irish archaeological material ranging from Neolithic flints, through Bronze Age gold, the unique 8th century Antrim Cross, hand pins, pennanular brooches, down to penal crucifixes of the 18th and 19th century. Irish decorative arts are represented too in a range of items including Irish delft, Belleek porcelain, 18th century Dublin tapestries as well as ecclesiastical and domestic silver.
The Museum Jean Tinguely
Dedicated to the life and work of Swiss artist Jean Tinquely, who died in 1991, the Museum is located in Solitude Park, on the right bank of the Rhine. The Museum was erected as a gift to the city and region of Basel by F. Hoffmann-La Roche LTD to mark the company's 100th anniversary in 1996. It was designed and built by Swiss architect Mario Botta and has been open to the public since 3 Ocober 1996.
The Museum's collection consists mainly of works generously donated by the artist's widow, Niki de Saint Phalle, and works from the holdings of F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
Museum exhibits works spanning three and a half decades in the
artist's life. Viewed in their broader context, they mirror artistic
developments in the second half of this century.
On the gallery level the Museum offers a chronological presentation of works from the 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s. The contrasts between the various rooms-like those in the artist's life-are striking.
In the 1950s Tinquely's works, often executed in black-and-white, possessed a stark, spare quality and were characterized by tremendous clarity. In 1959 his mйta-matic drawing machines appeared, marking an important renewal.
1960 was the year of Tinquely's huge international success with his self-destructing Homage to New York. But the artist's style was changing rapidly. He now began working with arc-welded scrap iron, and his sculptures became more provocative and comical.
Following the completion of Eureka for the Expo 64 in Lausanne, his works became more 'sculpture-like' in the classical sense of the word. Works from this period are often all black and are apt to strike the viewer as abstract objects rather than as 'found' ones.
The 1980s were characterized by large-scale projects, among others the large altars. The altar-piece Lola, characteristic of this period, can be seen in the Museum.
The next two rooms contain the monumental work Mengele - Dance of Death, a reflection on the inevitability of death.
In the large hall, monumental sculptures such as Grosse Mйta Maxi-Maxi Utopia, Fatamorgana and Agricultural Platform are displayed.
The National Palace Museum
In Taipei is the National Palace Museum, in which is preserved and enormous amount of art and artifact from all of China's 6,000-year history. The National Palace Museum collection was originally the Imperial collection until Chiang liberated it. It was then moved several times until finally the Communists started causing trouble; then the whole thing was shipped to Taiwan. This is probably a good thing, since otherwise it would have been destroyed in the cultural revolution.
The Semitic Museum
The Semitic Museum was founded in 1898, and moved into its present location in 1903. It originally was the home of the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations, a departmental library, a repository for research collections, a public educational institute, and a center for archaeological exploration. Among the Museum's early achievements are the first scientific excavations in the Holy Land (at Samaria in 1907-1912) and important excavations at Nuzi and the Sinai, where the earliest alphabet was found. During World War II, the Museum was taken over by the Navy and closed to the public.
In the 1970s, it resumed its academic activities, and today is again home to the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations and to the University's collections of Near Eastern archaeological artifacts. These artifacts comprise over 40,000 items, including pottery, cylinder seals, sculpture, coins and cuneiform tablets. Most are from museum-sponsored excavations in Iraq, Jordan, Israel, Egypt, Cyprus, and Tunisia. The Museum is dedicated to the use of these collections for teaching, research and publication of Near Eastern archaeology, history, and culture.
Tareq Rajab Museum
The Museum was built up and run privately by the Rajab family. It was opened to the general public in 1980. The Museum is divided into two main sections of Islamic Art:
This Section deals with calligraphy, pottery,
metalwork, glass, wood, ivory and jade carvings of the Islamic world.
Early calligraphy is presented in a separate small room, showing
pages from the Holy Qur'an, dating back to the first three centuries
of the Islamic period. It also contains an early dated Qur'an written
on parchment, dating to 393AH/AD1002. Later examples display
calligraphic panels., inscriptions which were cut, or in brail
A collection of Holy Qur'ans from small to large examples.
A treatise of the 9th century scholar al-kindi on optics.
A page fragment from the timurid Prince Baysunqur's Qur'an.
The pottery section presents the full history of this art form, starting from pre-Islamic time up to the 19th century. So far the only known dated piece of this type of pottery. It is decorated with a beautiful written kuffic inscription, giving a quotation from the the Holy Qur'an. So far the earliest known ceramic object with a Quranic inscription.
The large selection of metalwork on display includes objects from the Umayyad period onward. Among them a 7th - 8th century AD bronze ewer, and an early incense burner. Seljuq, Ghaznavid and Ghurid period metalwork is well represented by ewers, flasks, oil-lamps and incense-burners. Of the later periods several bowls, ewers and trays are shown.
Islamic glass of the early periods are demonstrated by a number of vessels, including perfume flasks, medicine bottles and beakers. Some of these have cut, others applique or trailed decoration. The ivory carvings include an indian musical instrument, a so-called "Sarinda", pen-boxes and another musical instrument from ottoman Turkey, a Kemence.
The exhibited jades are all from Mughal India and date from the 17th and 18th centuries, including an extremely rare red and white jade as well.
Arms and Armour
The arms and armour is shown in several display cabinets and one room is specially dedicated to the swords and daggers of the Near and Middle East. There is also a special and extremely rare object, a ceremonial shield, carved out of buffalo hide, made at Ahmadabad in India during the 16th century.
Islamic lacquerwork is presented in a special cabinet and it includes a 14h Mamluk box, a late 14th or early 15th century Qur'an stand, or Rahla, a signed and dated Kashmir mirror-case and many Qajar pen-boxes and mirror-cases.
This part of the
Museum deals with the costumes, textiles, embroideries and jewellery
of the Islamic world, but also includes relevent objects from Tibet,
Nepal and Bhutan.
The objects are exhibited in the following order:
The gulf countries: Kuwait, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Oman and the Yemen.
The exibited objects include jewellery, costumes and textiles of these countries. This is followed by a detailed display of folk jewellery of other near and Middle Eastern countries and also of India, Nepal, Tibet and Bhutan.
The collection is particularly rich in Syrian and Palestinian costumes, while its folk jewellery is perhaps one of the richest and largest in the world.
In both sections of the museum there are large numbers of swords, daggers, some old Islamic fire-arms and gun-powder holders.
Likewise, an outstanding collection of musical instruments from almost every part of the Oriental world are exhibited.
There is a special collection of jewellery, which once, so it is claimed, belonged to the last Emir of Bukhara.
The Living Art Museum
The Living Art
Museum owns a very large collection of art and source material,
donated by members of the Living Art Museum Association and others.
When the museum was founded, a provision was incorporated in its
Organization Charter, stipulating that its members would donate one
work upon joining the Association and subsequently every few years.
These provisions have not been strictly observed, as it soon became
evident that storage space, as well as funds for the preservation and
maintenance of the art collection were insufficient. Furthermore, one
of the main objectives of the Living Art Museum, that of collecting
contemporary art, has encouraged the official/state-owned art museums
to pay more attention to contemporary art. Nevertheless, the Living
Art Museum owns a fairly extensive art collection and has succeeded
in preserving a unique part of Iceland's art history. For example,
the Museum owns the largest artists books collection in the country,
one of the world's largest collections of the work of German-Swiss
artist Dieter Roth, as well as works by most members of the SЪM
Group, Jуn Gunnar Бrnason, Magnъs Pбlsson,
Hreinn Friрfinnsson, the brothers Sigurрur Guрmundsson
and Kristjбn Guрmundsson, Rуska, Arnar Herbertsson,
Magnъs Tуmasson, Gylfi GIacute;slason, Sigurjуn
Jуhannsson, Hildur Hбkonardуttir and Guрbergur
The Museum owns works by many of the nation's best-known younger artists and the collection is growing steadily. The collection also includes works by some 50 foreign artists, such as Joseph Beuys, Pieter Holstein, Richard Hamilton, Dorothy Iannone, Jan Voss, Wolf Vostell, Douwe Jan Bakker, Emmet Williams, Robert Filiou, Nini Tang, Peter Angermann, John Armleder, Geoffrey Hendriks, Jan Knap, Alan Johnston, Peter Mцnning, Bengt Adlers and Franz Graf.
All works of art in the Museum's possession are selected by the artists themselves and not by specialists of art institutions. A catalogue of the art collection of the Living Art Museum is accessible on a digital database.
The Prince of Wales Museum of West India
In the early years of the twentieth century, some prominent citizens of Bombay decided to set up a Museum with the help of the government to commemorate the visit of the Prince of Wales. One of the resolutions of the committee at its meeting on June 22, 1904 was, "The building should have a handsome and noble structure befitting the site selected, and in keeping with the best style of local architecture."
The committee spared no effort to realize this dream. On March 1, 1907, the then government of Bombay handed over to the museum committee a spot of land known as the "Crescent Site", situated at the southern end of the present Mahatma Gandhi Road. After an open competition for the design, George Wittet was commissioned to design the Museum building in 1909. George Wittet had collaborated with John Begg in the construction of the General Post Office building. His other works in Bombay include the Court of Small Causes and the magnificent Gateway of India.
The National Museum of History (Brazil)
The National Museum of History, pertaining to the Ministry of Culture, created in 1922, is one of the most important museums in Brazil with 287.000 items that include the largest numismatic collection in Latin America.
The architectural complex where the museum is situated had its origin in the Santiago Fort, located at the former Calaboose Point, one of the strategic points for the defense of the city of Rio de Janeiro.
The National Gallery of Canada
The National Gallery of Canada, a visual arts museum of international stature, holds its collections of art in trust for all Canadians. The mandate of the National gallery, as set out in the 1990 Museums Act is: to develop, maintain and make known, throughout Canada and internationally, a national collection of works of art, historic and contemporary, with special but not exclusive reference to Canada; and to further knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of art in general among all Canadians.
The Museum of Moroccan Arts
The imposing silhouette of the Dar el Makhzen dominates the Tangier kasbah.
the governor's palace, it was built in the XVIIth century and is laid
out around a splendid patio decorated with enamelled faience.
The Museum of Moroccan Arts is housed in the prince's apartments which are indeed princely: painted wooden ceilings, sculpted plaster work and mosaics, all of them exquisite.
A worthy setting for works of art from all over Morocco, which are honoured as prestigious ambassadors of their regions.
The north is
represented by firearms decorated with marquetry and its pottery
bearing subtle motifs of flowers or feathers, while from Rabat come
the shimmering carpets with their characteristic central
the Fez room is quite dazzling... silks with their subtly shifting highlights, superbly bound illuminated manuscripts with the finest calligraphy, centuries-old dishes decorated in the most brilliant colours, from golden yellow right through the famous "Fez blue".
From the miniscule to the monumental, the Moroccan Museum of Arts is an entire universe of beauty.
The Albany Museum is a provincial museum funded by the Department of Sport Art and Culture of the Eastern Cape and is an affiliated research institute of Rhodes University. The Museum today consists of a family of six buildings which includes the